Tips from Pittsburgh’s basement waterproofing experts.
Despite what many believe, basement flooding isn’t always caused by a catastrophic event. Some basements flood slowly and over a long period of time. While it is true a sudden rush of water – barreling in all at once – can create a flooded basement, your home can also fall victim to a wet basement with even the slightest bit rain.
Pittsburgh has seen its fair share of rain in recent years. Before the winter arrives and the rain changes to snow, the Pittsburgh Drain Guys wants everyone to know why your basement may be flooding and how to prevent it from happening again.
Common Causes of Flooding
Remember the old saying, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way”? Well guess what, where there is water saturation around your foundation, it will make its way inside your home! Water pressure builds up in various ways and if it is not remedied, your basement will flood.
So what causes flooding?
- Typical amounts of rainwater will absorb into the ground without issue, but persistent rain causes over-saturation. Without proper drainage around your foundation, standing ground water will be forced to exit via your foundation’s walls and floor.
- Gutters and downspouts can often overflow during heavy rain. This can cause water to pool at the base of your foundation. Soil will become loose and water will absorb laterally alongside your home. The absorption will eventually cause leaks and foundation damage.
- Window wells are commonplace for many homes. These window systems allow occupants to exit a basement in the event of an emergency. However, if they’re not installed properly, they can easily fill with rainwater causing the water to run into your basement.
Signs of a Wet Basement
It may be time to explore a Pittsburgh basement waterproofing solution if you notice,
- Wall stains
- Puddling water
- Warping paneling or wallpaper
- Paint that looks like its “bubbling”
- Musty smells
- Dampness in the air
- Cracks in the walls or floors
Pittsburgh Basement Waterproofing Solutions
For small cracks in your foundation’s walls or basement floors, we can repair the breaks and gaps by injecting them with water-repellent epoxy. If your issues are bigger than just a few cracks in the foundation, we offer Interior or Exterior French drain installation in Pittsburgh. Call us at 412-377-9133 or fill out our form for an estimate today!